It's been a long, hungry four days. But today I made it back to work. I haven't been this sick since 2005 when I inherited hand-foot-mouth disease from Dustin. That was much worst. If you've never heard of hand-foot-mouth, consider yourself blessed. I'm guessing in 2011, like clockwork, I'll get some new virus from Justine, and then the circle will be complete.When you sit on the can as much as I did, you have lots of time to think (and pray). Although when you're kneeling in front of it, you're likely only to be praying. And boy was I praying hard! It was a battle zone in that bathroom!
After the violence had subsided, I was back in bed alone with my thoughts. I remembered a recent sermon about how I should thank the Lord in all situations, even when I'm suffering. Normally during chronic ordeals, I would question, "Why me? Why me? What have I done to deserve this?" ...and this time was no different. But in addition to that prayer, I was also thankful for my misery. I was thankful that it was me being tortured instead of Colby. I was thankful it wasn't any worst or that it wasn't compounded by another crisis. I was thankful that after I puked, there actually was some relief. I could go on and on... Honestly, it was a hard prayer and I tried to be sincere. I kept analyzing: hey, I have 3 kids... life is supposed to be painful! Be a man! Heck, it's been 3 years between these afflictions. I've gotten off easy... But joking aside, through the prayer I knew God had a plan for me. That this was part of His perfect will. I've been going through cruise control for much too long. And I needed to be reminded to depend on Him daily.
Despite the discomfort, those four days were quite productive. I did many of the things I've been procrastinating on: I prepared our taxes, helped Dustin on a project, organized our bills, organized my mom's bills, finished a freelance job, did some light yard work, cleaned up my desk, and caught up on 9 videos I've been wanting to watch!
At work they didn't miss me one bit. Both my bosses are on vacation so no one cares. Best of all, I had a couple of jobs that I hated, but in my absence, they were reassigned to someone else! Today everyone's avoiding me because I look like death. I tell them to stay away (with my creepy, raspy voice) and they run. Ahh, the peace and quiet. More time to relax, slow down, and blog... a great start to a 3-day weekend. What? You mean you don't get Caesar Chavez Day off? Bummer dude!
In hindsight, I'd say it's been a great week! Yep, God is looking out for me! And for that, I am very thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment