Monday, August 18, 2008

Our first vacation

Hard to believe our vacation is over and I'm back at work. At the beginning of the trip you think you have eight long days ahead but it all seems to go by so quickly. For us, this trip was truly long-awaited. This was our first vacation in seven years! Yep, you read that right. Our last trip was a short 3-day trip to San Diego in 2001 when Dustin was one year old. That trip ended with me coming home with the stomach flu. The year before that, we were in Vegas where my pregnant wife passed out in the buffet line and I had to carry her across the restaurant among startled onlookers. So you see, vacations haven't been very good to me.

Day 1: Disneyland
Disneyland was not part of our original plan. But thanks to the generosity of the Chans and Fongs, we inherited four free passes! I think they felt sorry for our kids, being stuck at home every summer, every year, for all their lives. Hey, the way I see it, if they never go, they'll never know what they're missing. Am I right? But now they'll want to go again every year!

The last time I went to Disneyland was probably 1990. Boy have things changed! Where's Captain EO?! And how come no one told me that Space Mountain was "upgraded"?? It's a lot faster and pitch black now. I unknowingly took the boys on. I assured them it was not scary. At the end of the ride, Colby was freaked out of his skull! He wanted to cry right away but was too busy hyperventilating. As I pulled his limp body out of the car, he finally started to wail. I'm sure all the onlookers where thinking, "Bad parent, bad parent!" Hmm, maybe this will make him NOT want to go again... I can only hope.

We traveled with the Leongs, who are seasoned theme-park professionals. They do at least 10 theme parks a year, every year. They booked the hotels, booked the shuttle, got the Fast Passes, parent swaps, ordered food, reserved the seats, carried our sleepy children... practically everything to help us maximize our experience at Disneyland. It was great!

I suggest you find a friend like them. And if you're just like them, let us know, and we'll travel with you next time ;)


3 comments:

  1. Andrea says,"Hey, we don't go to 10 theme parks a year! Not EVERY year!!" "Why do you call your computer "Who Fong Paid"?! "I miss Justin, Colby, Dustin, Aunty Chrissy, and you VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops mommy misspelled, we meant to say Justine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. space mountain was one of my first rollercoasters ever. I was scared out of my mind just being in line. It's a lot faster now than I remember it being.

    ReplyDelete