Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oakland 101*

*On Monday, the Chronicle reported four homicides in Oakland over the weekend which brought the total to 101 victims in 2008. That's when I thought of the catchy title, "Oakland 101." But now as I'm wrapping up this post, I see someone else got killed Tuesday so now it's 102. Ugh!

With the heat wave last week, several of my whiny coworkers were complaining about the triple digit temperatures where they live (San Jose, Gilroy, Pleasanton, Livermore, etc). I always tell them the best climate in the bay is in Oakland. And as always their typical response is, "Who would want to live there?! You'll get killed!"

I was born and raised in Oakland. Chrissy was born and works in Oakland. We attend church in Oakland. I drive my mom home to Oakland... So essentially, one of us is in Oakland almost every single day of the year. And I'm guessing 80% of my friendships were all rooted in Oakland too. I like Oakland and generally feel safe in Oakland. But it depends what part of Oakland you're in and what time of day it is.

If you're new to Oakland and want to enjoy Oakland, let me tell you where NOT to go. If you look at the homicide map above, you'll notice all the murders are below (or west) of the 580 freeway – quite telltale of where the unsafe neighborhoods are. At first glance, it almost looks like the game of Risk. But it's more like the game of Life.

To me I find comfort knowing that murderers tend to stay in their own neighborhoods and not travel afar to do their killing. Maybe it's the convenience, or they're protecting their turf, or maybe it's the price of gas. I say as long as you stay away from International Blvd., San Pablo and 98th Ave., then the rest of Oakland is probably no more dangerous than any other big city.

Now robberies on the other hand, are a lot more widespread (I know that firsthand with the break-in at my mom' house last year). But at least you're still alive. With the recent restaurant robberies, it shows that criminals go everywhere, especially where the targets seem to be more affluent. My recommendation when going out to dinner, like to Chinatown, is to not carry that much money or any expensive jewelry. Empty out your wallet and bring only the necessities. And if you cherish your iPhone, perhaps carry a decoy older phone to hand over. The main goal is to give them everything and not get shot.

And how about that nicer city across the bay? Yes they are a bit safer, about a third less murders than Oakland, but still plenty of scary neighborhoods to stay away from. Plus their homeless problem is way worst.

San Jose on the other hand, is quite notably safer. Being down here the last four years, I've noticed a lot less homeless and gansta ghetto folks compared to Oakland and SF. Their biggest problem is probably gangs, graffiti, and skanky teens at Great America. I know I'm not going to win any arguments around here. We all know Oakland is where you'll most likely get shot and robbed. But one thing for sure, the weather can't be beat!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, they might beat their record. In 1992 there were 165 homicides (if I remember correctly).

    ReplyDelete