Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mommybloggers

I just read this article on SFgate:

'Mommybloggers' turn their hobby into profits

Most of these mothers started online journals for personal reasons. But a handful have taken blogging from a sanity-saving hobby to a career, and many others - more than 1,000 in BlogHer's ad network alone - are collecting at least a little extra income through their blogs.

...with the fact that mothers are more likely to blog than the general Internet population - 15 percent of mothers with kids under 18 blog, compared with 12 percent of all online adults...
This was an eye-opener for me. But after careful thought, I think it makes sense.

It's a known fact that women talk way more than men. And for the many stay-at-home moms, there's usually no one to talk to! As my fellow-blogger Al would witness, those moms that pick up their kids after school... they talk like crazy! I mean they're trapped at home all day with their thoughts and finally they can get out and unload! Why else do they come 15 minutes before the bell rings?

Women just love to share their life experiences, whether it be raising their children, trying new recipes, or finding that perfect mascara... they want to spread the word! Don't get me wrong, men like to share too, but they don't make an effort to congregate. They only share if they all just happen to be together (and during commercial breaks).

I just did a calculation of my known readers. 60% are women. And 90% of them are moms. I'll admit that although I may be smarter than them in some things, I'm sure they're smarter than me in many other things, like parenting, cooking and mascara. Truth be told, a lot of my "smarts" is from reading other people's blogs – and I read a LOT of blogs. All bloggers do it. It's called research. You think I just come up with all this stuff??

So to all of you out there, especially moms, I encourage you to start a blog. It could be real simple, like posting some pics of your family, or pics of that awesome birthday cake you just created, or sharing that Father's Day is the best day to go to Disneyland... You have a wealth of knowledge in you. Why not share it with your friends?

This is what I do. I don't know a lot. But even with what little I do know, I have enough material to fill 52 weeks! Give it a try. Y
ou'll be pleasantly surprised how many people are actually interested in what you have to say.

Oh yeah, and don't forget, if you're good, you can make some spending cash too!

Link: Article

No comments:

Post a Comment