I survived the Scott Robert Next Level Workshop. It wasn't easy. It was intense, exhausting and frustrating at times. But that's to be expected when you're masquerading as a photographer like I was.At first I blended in real well. You see, there were 18 attendees, 11 of which were Asian men. Hmm, is this a new stereotype for us? There were also six gals (half of them Chinese). But my giveaway was my Nikon D70 with stock lens and tiny 2" display. No pro would ever use that! They say the D70 is like so yesterday. Nowadays they all use high end Canons with $1500 lens and fancy remote flashes. All I could think was, "Man, isn't all that stuff heavy"
As we broke up in groups and headed out with the models, that's when I really got lost. Um, do I shoot in A or P? and tell me again what ISO to use? But the killer challenge was trying to pose the models without inflicting any pain on them. I was like, "Um, just stand over there and act natural..." After a while I just let the pros pose them while I act like a paparazzi guy, squeezing in and trying to get any shot. Furthermore, my cheapy lens and flash really put me at a disadvantage because my ISO and F-stops could never get as low (yeah, like it really mattered to me). Needless to say, my photos are darker and grainier. Hey, that could be my own signature style, the gritty look!

Here's Scott laying the ground rules to all his groupies. "You can carry my bags but no screaming in public..." That tall guy is his bodyguard. Do you recognize him?
Anyhoo, while the outings where challenging, Scott's lectures were quite enjoyable. They were highly motivational, informative, and never boring. Scott has a rare combination of having strong technical skills, modeling skills, teaching skills, and a great eye for composition. Take all that and throw in his custom coloring and his high-energy personality, it's no wonder how he can charge $10k/wedding. He's truly one of a kind. And the class resembled his fan club. They really worshiped him. Watching him walk around with the models... he was a rock star.
Despite my shortcomings, I still managed to pick up some valuable tips on lighting and modeling. I know my camera way better now and feel fully confident about ditching Photoshop for Lightroom in all my post-processing work. So yeah, I feel like a better photographer now. But only time will tell.
In the end, my sad conclusion is that I can never be a wedding photographer. Yeah, I'm so bummed... As much as I can learn the technical side, I doubt if I'll ever grasp the modeling concept. Sure I have tons of charm, but as in life, hasn't gotten me far. I really need to be caught up in all the latest fashions and trends to be successful. I should start flipping through all those magazines I subscribe to, like Spin, Interview, and Better Homes and Gardens... Maybe then, just maybe... Oh, who am I kidding? I need to stick to shooting subjects I can yell at, like my kids.
Thanks to your tax dollars, Robert and I didn't have to pay for this workshop. Heck, Scott even comped us both hotel rooms! But for the many aspiring students in our class, they made a heavy investment to be here. So far from what I've read, I'm pretty sure they'll be repeat customers. To them, Scott's wisdom is a real game changer and they should see immediate results. If you're looking for a photographer, I could recommend some of them.
I know there are many photography enthusiasts among my readers and friends. And I wish I could've shared this experience with you, but Scott wouldn't let me videotape his sessions :(
If you want to see some amazing photos, here's Scott's blog about the workshop:
scottrobert/what-you-learn-at-my-workshops
As I sort through my photos, I'll try to post some good ones shortly (just don't compare mine to Scott's). And if you want to hire me to shoot your next event, I'm there! Just let me know, I surely can use the practice!
I was a bit surprised when you signed up for his workshop but when you said "Work was paying for it ...", I thought, "Cool!" Maybe you can quit your 9-5 job and be the next Scott Robert Lim ... I don't think we have any professional photographers at CI.
ReplyDeleteHey Stan, nice entry and if gritty works for you at least it is a style. Hey my style is the Crane Style. I see you gave me a promotion of bodyguard instead of flunky. =p Keep on shooting that is what I am trying to do. Nice seeing you again.
ReplyDelete-Eric