This Christmas we received our latest piece of fine home furnishing. It was for the boys from their Uncle Ricky (who is single). It was a great gift but with no room in the house, we had to leave it in the cold garage, next to the air hockey table, and taking up a parking spot.Then after dismantling the Christmas tree, normally a sofa chair would return to that corner. While I was resting after Lasik surgery, I had no energy to move that big heavy chair from upstairs. But instead, I was easily able to move this basketball court from the garage! And it was even easier because Chrissy was at work :)
Oh man, when the boys came home, boy did their faces light up! "That is soooo cool dad!!" It's really been the main attraction of fun, especially for friends and during rainy days. And with the 30 second timer, you can really get a good cardiovascular workout! It sure beats an ugly Nordic Trak! Just last night my mom commented that it was the best toy because it can be played by all ages. Hmm, I wonder if she's been launching basketballs when no one's home...
So far, no damage yet. We've knocked the vent cover off and loosened one of the spindles on the railing, but the netting does a great job containing about 95% of our shots. As long as you're not attempting a fade-away or some half-court heave, there shouldn't be any problems. We've been getting creative by trying different ways to shoot baskets, like sitting on the floor, or in complete darkness, or while holding a child... Needless to say, I hold the record in all categories!I know in normal households, this would be totally-out-of-the-question in the living room. But surprisingly Chrissy hasn't voiced any complaints about it so far. Maybe because she secretly thinks it's cool too... or maybe because it came from her side of the family... whatever, it's here to stay until the next thing. Now I just need to find room for our air hockey...
Right on Stanley! Kids rule...and you only go around one time. What could be better than spending quality time with your children. I'm re-doing my floors downstairs and actually contemplated painting a "Key" in the living room while it was empty so
ReplyDeleteAaron could practice his free throw shooting. I was nervous though about the entire "B" ball team showing up.
He appreciated the thought!!
It's just think it is far more important to make memories with your children than having the perfect looking living room. Obviously you agree!!
Georgia
I think you need to get a full size Asteroids or Pac Man machine and host a tournament once a month with a buy in and potluck dinner.
ReplyDelete