Friday, February 29, 2008

I Stand Corrected

It's not easy to admit you're wrong. But on some rare occasions (like today, being Feb. 29), even someone like me can be a little off the mark. Hard to believe I know. But it happens.

Remember back in December when I wrote about how I won the logo contest and that I don't expect anything from the six-figure directors who are grossly overpaid and at the same time super cheap because all they care about was their pensions and collecting $20 for the Christmas party and charging us an hour vacation time to attend their "free" lunch and making sure no one leaves early on Christmas and New Year's Eve saying there's lots of work to be done even though they themselves take that time off because they know there's really nothing to do and even if there was there's plenty of lower level people making half their salaries who are quite capable of doing their jobs for them??

Well, that's still mostly true.

Last week I got a call from upstairs on behalf of the general manager. They wanted to officially recognize me for my winning logo. (I think they were prodded by my little boss because she knows we rarely get any respect and recognition. To them we're just the people under the stairs.) So anyway, this executive-level gal visits me and asks me what I would like for a prize. I was flabbergasted! Who me?? A prize?? I get a prize?! She said yes. And she asks why I'm so surprised (good thing she doesn't read my blog). She said it has to be something environmentally conscious and renewable. So I immediately asked for a Prius!

She laughed and said, "...what about some light bulbs or a coffee thermos?" I gently told her that light bulbs are 3/$1 and I don't drink coffee because it's bad for my blood pressure. What I really was thinking was how incredibly cheap they were - I mean who would offer light bulbs for a prize?? But then I remembered that I should be happy because I wasn't expecting anything in the first place so even if it was only a few light bulbs it would still be better than nothing at all. I gratefully smiled and said let me consult my wife to find a suitable prize. She said ok, smiled back, and left.

I go home and tell Chrissy. She thinks to herself and asks if there was a budget. Heck if I know, but I'm definitely not getting a Prius! I tell her to think along the price range of light bulbs and coffee mugs. (By her facial reaction I could tell she was thinking they were cheap too). She told me to get the $20 Sigg Aluminum Water Bottle. (To stay on topic, I'll blog about the Sigg at a later date).

So yesterday I was honored at a big-wig meeting and received my bottle. Of course when I was up there I had to make a short speech explaining my choice in the prize. I was really nervous and stuttered a bit, but I won't lie, it was a nice feeling being recognized from the top. The GM knows me now. My chief knows me now. They now can put a face on all the high-profile campaigns going around here. Yes, they'll continue to expect great things from me. And I will continue to deliver (or continue to think of excuses why I couldn't...). Fact is, now I'm on their radar. Hmm, methinks maybe that's not a good thing...

If this was at some private company, this would be a perfect time to ask for a raise. Unfortunately as a public employee, the only raise I get is in my union dues and blood pressure. There are times when I get jealous of you guys and your great jobs that let you travel, feed you, let you work from home, give you a car, give you a Blackberry, give you 33% discount, let you fire people for fun... But I know I should be content. I'm pretty lucky to have a quiet corner cubicle where I can churn out incredible works for the enjoyment of mankind – and when I'm NOT blogging, I do some pretty decent designs too! A job is just a job. We lead a simple life so as long as it pays the bills, I'm fine. To me, my cube is just a hideout from the kids, sorta like a clubhouse for me and my staff of driftless thoughts. Going home and facing the family – now that's where the real job is. Yeah, that's where I deserve a raise!

1 comment: