Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thai'd the Knot

Oh man, oh man! I've been sitting on this news since Tuesday! My head is about to explode trying to keep this to myself while I gather evidence from this elusive man. Haven't even told Chrissy.

First let me tell you, ever since I started this blog, I've been reconnecting with old friends left and right. Those old friends always ask about other old friends but the ONE PERSON that they ask most about is Burt, to which I haven't had an answer. I've seen Burt maybe 4 times in the last 8 years. And he's been silent for the last two. In an earlier post I tried to lure him out, but no luck. So when I finally tracked him down on IM, what did he do? Without warning he unloads this mega upside-your-head, what-da... news on me! Total shock would be an understatement! My head is still spinning!

Yes my friends, Burt is a married man. You would think living in the land of Elvis chapels he would get hitched there. But no, he's been secretly wooing a girl in Thailand for the last year!

Back in the day we used to call these girls "G.U." meaning they were "geographically undesirable." And we really only meant the girls outside the east bay like across the bridge or Sacramento, not across the ocean. Boy, come to think of it, we were really cheap and lazy considering the price of gas and traffic conditions back then... But Burt's always been a traveler, no distance can keep him away from his sweetheart. In fact, it's only fitting that his official title at his job is Journeyman. And this time he's gone on an extreme journey, racking up some serious frequent flyer miles, and netting the ultimate prize!

I actually spoke to Burt on the phone because after he IM'd the news to me, I just about fell off my chair and my hands were shaking, literally unable type. This was BIG and I sooooo needed to tell someone!! But I wanted to wait for proof, I wanted to make sure. The photos finally arrived this morning.

So according to Burt, he met his wife while vacationing there last year. After several more visits, they got married this Spring. She's currently still in Thailand awaiting the completion of a love palace (house) that they are building there. Once the house in Thailand is completed, she will move to Vegas to live with Burt. The Thai house will serve as a vacation home (or special love getaway). Burt is anxiously awaiting her arrival so that they can also have a wedding in the U.S. (and populate his empty house). In the meantime, Burt continues to work graveyard shifts at Vons because if you can't be with her, you can at least share the same time zone.

Burt, I've waited so long for this day for you! Congratulations!

More Pictures
This morning (Friday), Burt sent me a few more shots to share.

The two guys are his groomsmen. Yes of course I'm upset. I should be in that picture, replacing that non-smiling guy!

A live pig! Now that's what I call a great wedding gift to the bride's family! None of that roasted pig nonsense where you have to divvy up all the pieces to all your relatives because you can't eat it all. With a live pig you can treat it as a pet first. When you get tired of it, then you kill it. Chop it up, stick it in freezer bags, and you'll be able to feed your family for months. You can also make your own sausages with the scraps. The gal in the pink dress is one of the bridesmaids (and future servant girl to King Burt).

Please leave your well wishes for Burt in the comments.

15 comments:

  1. I guess you'll be posting something about Jimmy getting married sometime soon. You'll have to wait a bit longer before something about me getting hitched...

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET OUT OF TOWN!!!! CONGRATS BURT!!I'll be joining the club in a few short months.That outfit looks so comfortable, I'm wearing shorts at my wedding. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Burt's married! cool for him, and congrats! So did they meet online??? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you almost fell off your chair, I actually slipped off my chair! My kids are wondering what all the yelling is about! Stan, next time warn me before you post something like this! Darn...I didn’t get to sing “How Beautiful”....She looks like a very nice girl. Congratulations Burt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This IS great news...and it was also GREAT to get cyber caught up with Scott Lim! Wow! He's really gifted! And it sounds like he's doing really well! Hope you and fam are good. We're good on this end. Hope to see/talk with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am very happy for Burt. I hope she will be able to move here soon. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay, this has got to be the one Stan blog w/the most comments. And you know what that means, Burt?!?! That we love you & we miss you and please drop us a line and let us know how you're doing Mr. King & I!!! CONGRATS!!! God bless you and your new beautiful wife!!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT THE ???? Is this another Photoshop special by Stanley? NO WAY!!! Congrats Burt! I would've thought you would marry a Vegas Showgirl... I guess she could do that when she moves to Vegas! Again, the Fongpays are excited and happy for you! Baby Gunn(s) coming soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's too awesome, i still remember our bowling team! Eric F. should see this post! Thanks for the post Stan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burt! Married! That's awesome! It's been years since I've heard anything about Burt, CONGRATS! What a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Congrats Burt! Amazing... never thought it would come down to an international affair. You look like you really fit in. May you have a truly wonderful life together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Burt! Great News! God Bless your marriage! I am very happy for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Burt, Congratulations!!! It's been a long time since our days of beating up inferior competition in Chabot College's tennis class.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Burt! dude, welcome to the club! And welcome to the online reunion courtesy of whofongpaid. congratulations! News from you has people coming out of the woodwork!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Burt! CONGRATULATIONS! I wouldn't have believed my own husband if I hadn't seen the proof. By the way, Stanley is expecting to be a groomsman and he promises to smile too. Can't wait to see you and your beautiful new wife. LOL, Chrissy

    ReplyDelete