People often wonder what I do at my job (besides blogging and napping). When I tell them I work for a transit agency they think I either drive the buses (or even worst, wash the buses) or do some kind of clerical work. They never can imagine that there's an actual marketing department behind those signs that tell you not to smoke, where to buy tickets, and to look both ways before crossing the tracks. Yeah, real exciting stuff. But every few years we get an opportunity to do something really cool, like design a paint scheme for a whole new fleet of buses.Instead of assigning this job to one person, my boss would make the whole staff submit designs. Well, in the latest "Battle of the Designers," I won. And today I was finally able to see the final product in person.
I was told the painters were having nightmares trying to paint that blue and red curve just right. They didn't anticipate the extra time required for such a "difficult" mask and now they're behind schedule. I don't know what's the big deal? I had no problems drawing it on my Mac :)
Starting in August, 50 of these buses will be hitting the roads throughout the south bay. But it won't look anywhere near this clean. It will be covered with logos, numbers and some giant ad on the rear. All my clean lines will be obliterated. So when you do see one, just remember where you saw it first. And please remember the poor painters.
great job stanley. i really liked the design and color scheme! i hope you got a bonus for winning!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I have always thought that you are extremely talented and creative.
ReplyDeleteGenie