So here I am back at my desk, eating lunch in peace. I feel ok but not quite back into my normal routine –– I don't feel hungry at 11, I'm not sleepy at 2, and I'm not combing the breakrooms looking for pastries. Weird. Maybe I've become a healthier person. Maybe I've been rejuvenated. We'll see how long that lasts.
Everyone greeted me this week, that was nice. No one dared ask me if I missed them because they know they're just asking to get slammed! My boss is especially happy to see me, that is, until I asked her to put me on a 4-10 schedule. She said she'll think about it. Hmmm, it's not looking good since she's been avoiding eye contact with me ever since.
Got on a new carpool schedule this week with three new riders. There are now five of us riding from Stoneridge. Four of us alternate driving, but the fifth person, a BART employee that gets a car every other month, he drives for an entire month! So for the month of June, I don't need to drive at all! Awesome! I can catch up on some serious ZZZZ's, think about blog content, or watch a show on my ipod. I just need to remember my deodorant, because as the days get warmer, it can get quite cozy in that car.
In the car I'm very quiet and don't like to talk (yes, very hard to believe, but true). Reason is, 90% of the content is always work related. So and so is making this much, and so and so is getting promoted, blah blah blah. I could care less. I make about a third less than everyone and they're the ones complaining about being underpaid. The irony is killing me. Also, what I've noticed is that government employees love to talk about retirement. They're obsessed. They start calculating how many years they need to work to get the maximum benefit and so on. And the funny thing is, for most of them, retirement is still at least 20 years away! Pathetic.
People retire here on a biweekly schedule it seems. I can't tell you how many retirement cakes I've tasted in the last 2 years. All the usual cliches are spoken and the rest of us (not me) are jealous of their new found freedom. Dude, what's to be jealous of?? You want to trade places with him?? He's 65, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, etc., practically three quarters way to the grave. I like my situation much better thank you. I am not wishing to fast forward my life 25 years for that golden ticket. All that means is more free time for doctor appointments.
No more TV
Last week was an incredible week of television with all the season finales. I follow Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Dancing with the Stars and Lost. I even watched American Idol hoping to see who the "big" mystery star would be this year (last year was Prince) only to be disappointed finding out it was Bette Midler. Even at the height of her popularity with the movie, Beaches, she was never that exciting. Oh well. I did enjoy Blake's beat boxing with Doug E. Fresh, and also the Winans. The weirdest thing was seeing Marlee Matlin in the audience. Not to be insensitive, but isn't she deaf? Go figure. If you missed the show, you can download the MP4 file here (566mb). I even edited out all the commercials for your uninterrupted watching enjoyment.
The timing of the finales was good for us. This week I had to start work and Chrissy had to start transporting both boys to school and back, as Colby started preschool fulltime. So coming home with no shows to catch is kind of a blessing. It forces us to relax, spend time with the kids, and at times, even talk to each other. Imagine that!
Stan,
ReplyDeleteAs a former government employee, I know what you are saying about being obsessed with retirement. I never understood that. I've also been to countless retirement parties in my time, sometimes every week.
25% of those who retire actually look better after retiring and seem to enjoy it. The other 75% die not too long after retiring. Be careful what you wish for.
oh yeah, we get a lot of that retirement talk. people love to complain about the deal we have and how we got screwed out of more retirement money. that is definitely government talk.
ReplyDelete