Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lunch at my desk again

I have this coworker that eats out for lunch everyday. Amazingly, he's been going to Togo's at least once a week for the last 7 years. Even more amazing is that he orders the same sandwich every time. Sometimes for variety he goes to Subway instead...and orders the same sandwich. He estimates in that time period, he's spent over $2000 eating 400 turkey swiss sandwiches.

I on the other hand, pack a lunch almost every day. I am very fortunate to have 2 cooks at home (my wife and my mom) that prepare dinner every night with plenty of leftovers. We have a microwave in the office and my cube is tucked away in the corner where I have lots of privacy. Believe me, I love to go out to eat, but I also enjoy the peace at my desk where I can quietly watch a video or work on my blog.

Furthermore, eating out takes effort. You have to drive, find parking, and wait for your food. So you waste time, gas and risk getting into an accident with all those other folks rushing back to the office. Plus, restaurant parking lots are notorious for getting door dings. You have 4 people getting out of the car, you just know some bonehead will let their door fly open.

When I do go out, my two favorite fast food places are still El Pollo Loco and Yoshinoya's Beef Bowl (from my college days). Both are somewhat healthy and they're not burgers. Lunch is especially enjoyable when I can meet up with friends outside of work. I think when you eat with coworkers, you can easily find yourself caught up in all the company criticism and gossip. So staying at my desk and keeping my thoughts to myself is better for everyone.

Today I ran across this article about how much money you save by not eating out. The annual cost savings is $988! (not to mention the health benefits too). You may not like the menu and I think the numbers may be a bit skewed (like how do you calculate 14 cents of mayo?), but the $6 avg. for lunch is accurate. I know half my readers are stay-at-home moms that often pack a lunch for their kids. Why not pack one for your hubby too? What better way to save money and show him how much you love him? Guys are like kids, we love those little packs of cookies and chips (not so much the carrot sticks). He'll appreciate your effort and save time. And with the remaining half of his lunch hour, he can try to sneak in a nap.

Frugal Lunch by Clever Dudette

And if you're feeling even more loving, here's another great read:
Clean Like A Maid

And for you slightly older folks, on the same site, you'll see that Mary Tyler Moore's house is for sale. The kitchen is incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment