I love the holidays. A bunch of get-togethers, tons of junk food, and all the bosses are on vacation. We have our annual rituals: hotpot dinner and NY Eve MJ (11 years straight!). In the 9 evenings between Christmas weekend and New Years, we attended 4 parties and hosted 2 dinners, cooking for 25 and 30 people! My kids played until 3 am and I could care less! My only worry was getting people to keep eating so I wouldn't have to pack it away.Friday, January 19, 2007
Recovering from the Holidays
Ah, Friday finally. This is the first full week that I have not fallen asleep at work. Maybe because I'm adding more hot sauce to my chow mein, or maybe I'm just finally catching up on my sleep. Either way, looks like life is resuming normalcy. Traffic is getting bad, my inbox is filling up, and I'm down to my last candy cane.
I love the holidays. A bunch of get-togethers, tons of junk food, and all the bosses are on vacation. We have our annual rituals: hotpot dinner and NY Eve MJ (11 years straight!). In the 9 evenings between Christmas weekend and New Years, we attended 4 parties and hosted 2 dinners, cooking for 25 and 30 people! My kids played until 3 am and I could care less! My only worry was getting people to keep eating so I wouldn't have to pack it away.
We see childhood friends that visit only during Christmas. They lose some more hair, gain some more weight, and you can't recognize their kids. But in reality, they haven't changed. We still laugh uncontrollably as we retell stories, dig out old pics and listen to Debbie Gibson and Lisa Lisa. No mention of any bad news, problems or conflicts. Everyone strives to keep the spirit joyous and uplifting. The nights would last forever, but yet it all seems to end too fast.
I love that show on VH-1 called "Bands Reunited" This guy, Ahmed, would find all the surviving members of a particular band from the 80s and reunite them for a one-night-only performance in Hollywood. Each member would share their feelings for each other, as well as their thoughts of why they disbanded. My favorite bands featured were Berlin, Scandal and ABC. You get to see what they're doing now--some have even left the music business altogether. But when given the opportunity to relive that one moment on stage with their bandmates in front of their fans, how can they resist? It's magical!
That's how I view my holidays. Fortunately for me, I can relive those moments on an annual basis. But now, it's back to work.
I love the holidays. A bunch of get-togethers, tons of junk food, and all the bosses are on vacation. We have our annual rituals: hotpot dinner and NY Eve MJ (11 years straight!). In the 9 evenings between Christmas weekend and New Years, we attended 4 parties and hosted 2 dinners, cooking for 25 and 30 people! My kids played until 3 am and I could care less! My only worry was getting people to keep eating so I wouldn't have to pack it away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I guess I must not be a "childhood friend"--cuz (1) I haven't lost more hair (at least since the last time I saw you!), (2) I weigh as much as I did 7 years ago, (3) I have no idea who Debbie Gibson and Lisa Lisa are. But I have to admit, Sarah's looking older though, which is a good thing.
ReplyDeletehey Stan,
ReplyDeletethanks for including us. The look and feel of your blog is welcoming and easy to read. I also just bookmarked a few of your "daily deals", so hopefully the Woo family will reap huge savings of future purchases.
It was great to see you over the holdays and we hope you and Chrissy get more rest.
Perry
You have time for this?! Really enjoyed it--loved the pics and look forward to checking out the links. Thanks for the inside look!
ReplyDeleteaaak
gotcha bookmarked!
ReplyDeleteHey, Goff, I was not referring to you with those comments (I shouldn't say who though). I think you still look marvelous!! Haha! I think for us, we'd be even more old school, listening to Kraftwerk, Earth Wind & Fire and Planetrock.
ReplyDeleteYo PW, you were supposed to be at that hotpot party! Great catching up with ya fam!
AAAK (from San Diego), remind me to take pics when we get together in April.
Thanks for the all comments!
Yo Stan,
ReplyDeleteI guess we're all gettin old since I resemble your comments about hair & waistlines!!! Next time I have something for sale, I'll ping you directly vs posting on CL. This way you get first right of refusal on all the crap I need to sell off...
L8r bro...
Will
what a fun night of hot pot. even fong pay peeled the shrimp for me.
ReplyDeleteray
Aw, we missed out on being in a pic! Oh well, at least we got to the party. Blog is looking good!
ReplyDeleteO