Friday, July 3, 2009

Anne and Sherman's 50th


Last weekend I was appointed the official photographer at the 50th Anniversary celebration of Anne and Sherman. The celebration was held at the lavish Hayes Mansion in San Jose. I was looking forward to this event. This would be my first official outing. Can you believe they wholly entrusted this once-in-a-lifetime event to me? Chancy people. Although if I screwed up and like forget my flash in the car (like I really did) or accidentally leave my ISO at 3200, I could've just said, "Oh well, you get what you pay for..."

After Scott's workshop last year, I've been following the blogs of several wedding photographers, both professional and aspiring. I'm constantly amazed at the imagery that is captured by someone who truly appreciates their craft. They inspire me to learn different styles, try different techniques, and at the very least, just shoot more often. They make the wedding day look so much fun and inviting, making me wish I could've been there too. Unfortunately, since the workshop, I have not been invited to any weddings. Nada.

Shooting the anniversary luncheon gave me a taste of what it takes to be a wedding photographer. Lots on hard work and lots of stamina! You have to eat fast and always anticipate the next thing. You're on your feet hustling all day. Plus, since most weddings occur in the summer (the temperature reached 95 that day), the heat really takes it toll.

I arrived at 10:30 and quickly went to work, posing the guests and scoping out new spots to shoot. The day went by quick and I took over 500 shots. By 3:00, after 10+ large group photos, my legs were wobbly and I was famished. (Yes, the food was fantastic. Had I not taken any photos of it, I would've forgotten what I ate.)

Now had this been a typical wedding, I would've started at 8 a.m. and by 3:00 I would've been headed to the tea ceremony or the Legion of Honor, or both. And then there's still the banquet where the dinner tables would double or triple the amount at the Hayes Mansion. A 14-hour day, easily.

Other factors to consider is that professional cameras with battery grips are a lot heavier, and there's a huge assortment of gear to lug around. And unlike the anniversary party where the main couple is in a relaxed eat-until-you-drop mood, the bridal party is completely stressed out, running late, sweating, and stinkin tired of smiling! I tell you, I have a newfound appreciation for wedding photographers. They truly earn their pay.

So next time you look at someone's wedding album, know that their smiles are fake. They are stressed beyond belief. If by chance their smiles DO look genuine, then you can credit the photographer for making them believable. The biggest and most natural smiles belong to the guests who are only there for the free food and liquor.












Good thing Wayland was there to inform the staff they were out of shrimp,
oysters and salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment