Friday, January 23, 2009

Save Jodie Gee



Today I went to a bone marrow donor drive organized by my friend Joann. Her sister Jodie (in Texas) is in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant and they're trying to get one million Asians into the bone marrow donor registry. Unlike giving blood, it was completely painless, just a few swabs inside the cheek. If you don't have time to go to a donor drive, you can always order a free kit from the links below.

To hear Jodie's story, please watch the four-minute video. If you are on Facebook, you can join the cause, "Save Jodie Gee" for more information about upcoming donor drives. Please keep Jodie's family in your prayers and spread the word.

Joann and her kids at the Jensen Ranch donor drive.


JOIN THE BONE MARROW DONOR REGISTRY
Please order a test kit today for FREE or participate in a donor drive near you to be part of the National Bone Marrow Registry! It could help save a life.

Asian-Specific Bone Marrow Donor Sites.
Northern California - http://www.aadp.org
Southern California - http://www.asianmarrow.org
New York Area - http://www.cllf.org and http://www.samarinfo.org
Taiwan - http://www.tzuchi.org/global/about/missions/medicine/BMD1.html

National Marrow Registry - Language Resources
Info for Chinese native contacts:
http://www.marrow.org/TRANSLATIONS/CHINESE/index.html
Info for Korean native contacts:
http://www.marrow.org/TRANSLATIONS/KOREAN/index.html
Info for Vietnamese native contacts:
http://www.marrow.org/TRANSLATIONS/VIETNAMESE/index.html
Info for Filipino native contacts:
http://www.marrow.org/TRANSLATIONS/TAGALOG/index.html

3 comments:

  1. What happens if you are a match? How do you donate bone marrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the medical procedures are, but if you are a match, I'm sure you'll be given all the details. According to the video, it says 50% of matches decline donating, which is disheartening, but probably lends to the invasiveness and potential risks of the procedure. For me, I won't think about it until I actually get contacted. Then I'll decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to some answers to your question. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/Myths_%26_Facts_about_Marrow_Don/index.html

    Please register and get others to do it too. The odds of your being called to donate are slim. But if it did, you could save a life. I've been reg'd for 20 years and no one's matched me yet.

    ReplyDelete