Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nervous and scared

Tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon I am scheduled for my Lasik surgery in San Leandro. I've been wanting to do this for years but have been too afraid. In recent years, Grace, Owen and Greg all got it done and wholeheartedly recommend it. This year I decided to not waste any more time and just get it over with. Remember, I'm 40 now so my health can only go downhill. Plus, reading glasses are just around the corner too.

I went through our resident CIBC (now XCI) optometrist Daniel who works with Dr. Mark Mandel – an excellent surgeon he says. They sent me an info packet during the holidays that included an impressive and informative DVD video. The video went into detail about the entire procedure from start to finish and the post-op care too. Of course I only cared about the potential risks (regardless of how rare, or very rare they were) and how I would cope with the recovery. At the end of the video, some apprehension began to set in.

Since the packet arrived during my parties, it was put away when we were cleaning house. Tonight (the night before surgery) I decided to dig it up and read it. That's when I realized there was a prescription for antibiotic eye drops I was supposed to start taking three days ago - uh oh! I called Daniel at 10:30 and he said I'm screwed (well actually I said it, but he didn't disagree). He told me to call Dr. Mandel for a second opinion. So I did. Fortunately Dr. Mandel said it'll be ok, he'll just give me some extra dosage tomorrow. Whew! I'm a little relieved but surely this only adds to my anxiety.

The entire appointment is 3-4 hours. I will have to keep my eyes closed throughout the day and night. No reading, tv or computer for 1-2 days. Luckily, I can still yell at the kids! So I'll be offline for a while. I'll blog about the whole experience next week. In the meantime, please pray for me. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. my cousin got lasik a couple days ago, he's super happy with it. i'll pray for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it done over a year ago. Quick, easy, no problems. Great to be free of the hassle of glasses and contacts. Best to be able to wake up and see clearly without having to search for glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blind man for 24 hours? Thank God for ReplayTV!!! Chrissy could run around the house naked tonight and you would have no idea ... I hope you don't miss any freebies or deals on Craigslist today!

    ReplyDelete