Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Let's Paarrty!! Part Three, Saturday Lunch

Just like the dot-com crash and the housing bubble burst, I knew all this partying would start catching up to me. For sure all these guilt-free and child-free festivities would face some consequences. It's like the zit you get the next day after a bucket of Popeye's chicken, or the bloated feeling you get after too many chili dogs or dairy products. There MUST be a penalty for all this indulgence. I mean, having children and enjoying life without them is like getting away with murder, am I right?

Well on Saturday my punishment was awaiting me. We were going to reunite with the boys at Meghan's first birthday party at Todai restaurant. There I was hoping I would first enjoy a nice sushi/seafood buffet, and then, and only then, would I reclaim my boys. That was the plan. Or so I thought.

On the way there I was really tired from the two parties the day before. As I followed a line of cars leading to a stop sign, I accidentally bumped the guy in front of me. He was driving too hesitantly and wasn't moving along with the rest of the cars. But as my loving and ever-supporting wife would later say, "No, you weren't paying attention." Thanks dear. Fortunately there was no damage, just a dirty look from this bald Chinese guy. So that's how my day began.

As we enter the restaurant, I see my niece and she immediately tells me that Colby is sick and has a fever. Great... this day just gets better... Sure enough, Colby was all slouched and held by Uncle Dan. He was really warm so I held him while we figured out our game plan. Fortunately since we arrived a little later, Dan was almost finished eating. So 15 minutes later he took back Colby so that I can eat.

Colby, being the ever-understanding, sometimes-favorite child of mine, waited until I finished my third plate of food, then told me he needed to throw up. So I took him outside in the rain and puked in a clear plastic bag in front of people eating at the restaurant next door. For that moment, Colby made me feel incredibly proud of him, and all was forgiven! He is such a trooper!

Upon re-entering Todai, Chrissy tells me that the guy I rear-ended is at the party. In fact, he's sitting next to Winnie's dad. Wow... can this day get any worse? And he was sitting right near the food too so I had to walk past him over and over again! I was so afraid Winnie's dad would wave to me and call me over to say hi. In the end I don't think he saw me. Oli tells me he kind of has short term memory loss and a little clueless. See, that would explain to Chrissy that indeed HE was the one not paying attention! Not me!

After lunch, we went home and I carried my sick son into the house. He gave me a reason to slow down and reacquaint my responsibilities as a father. We both took a nice long nap together. Good thing, because in a few hours, 17 people were coming over for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment