Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lake Tahoe Snow Trip

Last month we went to Lake Tahoe for our annual snow retreat. The cabin was much nicer than the one at Twain Harte, complete with pool table, xbox and wifi. The best thing about it was the big hill directly behind it so we didn't have to travel anywhere. Cost was only $10 more per family versus Twain Harte, but the drive was definitely longer (200 miles vs. 120 miles).

The last time I went to Lake Tahoe was to go mountain biking in the early 90s. The last time I went to Lake Tahoe to play in the snow was with YTF in the early 80s. I guess after hearing countless horror stories of being stuck on the road 9 hours, or rolling your minivan down an embankment, or the recent death at China Peak... made me want to completely avoid any adult "fun" snow activities. I am alive today not because I moved out of Oakland, but because I resisted skiing and snowboarding.

I'm amazed at those of you who frequently risk your lives on the road and on the slopes just to catch some fresh powder. You blatantly post your reckless pics on Facebook not thinking about your worrisome family at home. You even trick yourself to believe that installing chains is just a minor inconvenience. I pray for your safety and I pray for your family as you spit into the face of death.

Below are some photos that chronicle the weekend activities:

First day, not much snow. But the big storm was just around the corner.
Growing up in Oakland, I've experienced hail, heard gunshots, and seen dead bodies, but I've never witnessed falling snow. It was neat at first, but it quickly became not so neat. Instead of getting the kids back to the house, I made them pose in the storm as I tried to capture the moment.
The next morning I dared the kids to go out barefoot (Note to self: never dare them anything.) I told them they could go out only if they didn't tell their parents it was my idea.
Here's a sugar-free, fat-free, natural and healthy treat – icicles. I used a broom to knock them off the roof. They loved it!
Trying to gather all the kids to come pose for picture is like trying to gather a scattering bag of marbles that broke on the floor.
We ain't going nowhere! Seriously, my battery was dead.
The safer alternative: sledding in the fresh powder after the storm. No helmet required.
He can now tell his friends how he sledded head-first into a tree and survived.
Sure, you can play in the middle of the street. Just don't tell mom.
After a long exhausting day in the snow, pure sugar is the best way to replenish the body!
Sledding got kinda boring the next day. Let's go body-sliding instead. Just don't tell mom how you messed up your clothes.
Join me and I will complete your training. It is your destiny. Join me and we can rule the galaxy as father and son. 
Needless to say, those two underestimated the young Padawan.
Our Shrek-like creation. It would have been nice to somehow make him green, but our only color option was yellow.
Four families, three nights, and two showers, make for one memorable trip!


3 comments:

  1. haaaaa! mountain biking in the early 90s... remember the panoramic shot with you, martin, and me in every piece of it? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Looks like a fun time without too much hassle getting there and back. Now wasn't it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I remember that pic, good times! Yes Matt, it was worth the drive. This time...

    ReplyDelete