Now last year, had you peaked into our bedroom, you would've witnessed me tossing and turning in the middle of the night, unable to sleep because my mind is focused on too many things. Things like: how to better discipline my kids, how to be the best husband ever, and what to blog about next… all while trying not to disturb my wife. What you'll also witness is my wife finally bouncing in at 1:30 a.m. after catching up on six hours of television, waking me up... What you won't see is us snuggled together with my arm under her neck because I'll get a cramp and frankly I don't like anyone touching me when I sleep. I NEED my own twin space and I've long outgrown the 14-year queen we shared. Problem is, I would never buy a king size bed because it's too expensive and
So with the scrap wood in my garage, I decided to build a king bed that fits two twin mattresses. The total dimensions of two twins is 78x75, which means it's a little wider and shorter than a standard king (76x80). Wider is always good. And since both of us are under six feet, 75 inches is just fine.
Construction of the bed was super simple. The four sides of the bed are actually rails from two disassembled Ikea twin beds (Robin and Brekke) that I bought as scrap in Ikea's scratch and dent section for a few bucks. Together they form a square. The corners are screwed into a 2x6 post. To eliminate any possible squeak and provide the ultimate solid foundation, I laid not one, but three 4x4 support beam. Because who knows, maybe someday Chris, Greg and Wayland will want to do a sleepover here. This acoustic trio may rattle the nightstands, but this bed WILL NOT be shaken.
If you're like me, still defending your space on an outgrown queen bed, here are a few reasons why two twins are the way to go. Forget getting a king mattress set:
- I toss and turn, I don't wake her. And vice versa.
- A clear division of space. She stays on hers and I stay on mine.
- My wife likes a thick plush mattress. I like firm. We both get our wish.
- She can upgrade her mattress every seven years, I can upgrade in 20.
- When we upgrade, we simply pass down old mattresses to kids. No kid wants a king, and dumping a king set is no easy task.
- Twin sheets are cheaper and easier to wash – although trying to find a second Pokémon fitted sheet to match your existing one may be challenging.
- No box spring means plenty of room below for storage and hiding. Seriously, is there anything more useless than a box spring??
- If ever we go through marital difficulties, I can install a partition between the two mattresses.
- King bedspread covers everything and no one knows (except you) that I have Pokemon sheets on a franken-bed.
This bed is awesome! Needless to say, I've been sleeping a lot better this year. I only wish I had done this ten years ago. Just think what kind of person I could've become with a good night's rest every night…
If you're interested in building franken furniture with Ikea parts, I get a lot of inspiration from Ikea Hacker. If you were to build this bed from scratch, it would only cost $100 in lumber. And with the additional money you save not buying a king mattress set, you'll have enough to take me out to dinner several times!
Later this month, Part 3, when I hopefully will have the loft bed done.

I was waiting for the loft bed pictures.
ReplyDeleteWow, great minds think alike! Ok, well, not *exactly* (can't top your original Pokemon sheets) but we had the similar predicament w/our queen and decided to pass that one along as a guest bed and "upgrade" to a king - w/2 twin mattresses, too. W/all the moving that we do, it's so much easier w/2 twins than 1 king set. And we aren't as disturbed when one tosses and the other turns. And similar to your solution, we have IKEA to thank (if we were still around, we could have fong-paid you to build us one w/the savings from having to buy - love the extra post reinforcement). 8) Looking forward to seeing your master creation in the boys' room...
ReplyDelete