Last month we attended a few swim parties. It seems like water parks are becoming more and more popular nowadays. Even public parks have free water play areas now (and I thought we were in a drought). Below are some photos from our YFC swim social and Jarod's birthday party in San Ramon.When I was growing up, I loved playing with water. But water fun was limited to water guns and balloons. If you had a rich friend, then you could use their pool. Otherwise the only other option is the public pool. The pool near my house was Dimond Park where rumors were that it also served as a public urinal. I believed it then and I still believe it now.
If you are Chinese and you grew up in Oakland, chances are you don't know how to swim. The few exceptions are: (1) had wealthy parents who could afford private lessons, and (2) overseas born and already used to swimming in filthy waters (FOB).
At Oakland High School, there were only two determining factors to taking swim class: you either had to be real fobby or real ghetto to be in there, nothing in between. Oh how I still remember how the brothas used to snap the towels at the unsuspecting fobbies as they ran to and from the showers. No way I was gonna subject myself to that abuse. And since swimming was not a requirement, none of my smart friends took swimming either.
To those of us that can't swim, isn't swimming just soooo overrated?? If you're over 5 feet tall, 90% of all fun at water parks do not require the ability to swim. So unless you're training for the olympics or a job at Sea World, why learn? I mean what are the chances you're gonna fall off a boat or a bridge? (Provided the fall didn't kill you already or the sharks haven't eaten you.) Fact is, if there is an accident and you're dropped in the ocean, you're gonna die. Caught in a riptide? You're gonna die. Swept away in a hurricane? You're gonna die. Sure if you can swim, you won't die immediately, but you'll die eventually. God's timing is inescapable.
I don't think I've missed out that much in life not knowing how to swim. Sure I don't dare surf, jetski, or drop the cannonball, but I've been quite content eliminating all extreme sports from my recreation list. And now that my life is well into its second half, I'll probably need the pool more for physical therapy than fun.
Also back in the 80's, suntanning by the pool was hip while sunscreen was nonexistent. So to all my Bain de Soleil cocoa-butter buddies, look out, because melanoma may soon be knocking at your door!
Now this doesn't mean I'm preventing my kids from swimming, not at all. I want them to be a part of whatever fun their friends are having and to never feel left out. It's not their fault their dad grew up next to a ghetto and was deprived his entire childhood. I've learned to live without certain luxuries that other people take for granted. I've made my sacrifices so they don't have to. Isn't that what being a parent is all about? To unselfishly make their lives better than your own? I expect them to not just learn how to swim, but to excel in it through their adolescence. Because who knows? If someday I actually do fall off a boat, I'll need them there to save me!








Thanks for explaining why the OHS'rs can't or don't swim!!
ReplyDeleteBTW, I can't swim and I'm from the Burbs ... must be the fat that keeps me afloat!!!
ReplyDeleteI got even for you because back in the day when I was an IWE at Montera Jr High, I used to snap the brothas with a towel as they ran out of the shower. Actually, I was a non-discriminating snapper and I would snap you just because you looked at me funny.
ReplyDelete